One of the most routine concerns that we hear about at Comfortech Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning in Jackson is filthy air filters. They may seem like a very tiny piece of the big home comfort puzzle, but the role they play in helping us maintain comfort is a lot greater than most homeowners notice. Regardless if it is cooling season or heating season, having a clogged air filter can cause a host of problems for your heating and AC system.
So what exactly happens when you forget to swap out your air filter? Here are a just a few of the side effects you may encounter:
- Decreased airflow. This is easily the largest issue you’ll note when your home’s air filter is severely clogged. The longer the air filter goes without being switched, the more dirt, dust and other particles build up. Of course, this prevents air from passing through the filter as it should, meaning your system is working quite a bit harder to leave you with the same amount of air.
- Frozen coil. If your system is operating harder because of a dirty air filter, you also run the danger of having the cooling coil freeze inside of the system, because it’s operating overtime to provide you with cool air.
- Total loss of cooling or heating. This is also a possibility if your air filter goes unattended for months and months on end. In essence, you will have worked your system so hard that something breaks or wears out and needs to be replaced or serviced.
- Short cycling. Short cycling means the heating and cooling system turns on and off more than it should. When your system short cycles, it could overheat or break down from the added work, possibly causing damage to your system.
In addition to these, you can also expect:
- A diminished equipment lifecycle
- Lower energy efficiency
- Diminished air quality
- More dust and debris
- Lack of comfort
If you’re not sure when you last switched out your air filter, it may be a good time to do so in order to avert any potential damage that might come with a dirty air filter. If you don’t know where your home’s air filter is located or you simply have a question about the number of air filters we carry, give Comfortech Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning a call at or schedule an appointment online.