Why Is My Air Conditioner Making A Noise?
Hearing weird noises when your air conditioner is on? There’s likely something wrong with your system. If you don’t fix it, it could lead to extensive—and expensive—issues eventually. We’re going to help you understand what’s occurring with your air conditioner and what you can do to change it.
8 Common Air Conditioning Noises
- Gurgling – Gurgling usually indicates a complication with your refrigerant line. If you can’t determine where the noise is emanating from, that’s alright. An expert can help find out where this noise is occurring.
- Crackling – Crackling could come from debris in the unit or aging ductwork. Debris in the outdoor unit will create a noise outside your house. Mature ductwork can create noise inside your house.
- Hissing – Hissing sounds coming from your AC can be created by a leaky refrigerant line, an internal valve leak or the compressor.
- Buzzing – Buzzing is likely an electrical issue.
- Clicking – Clicking can hint you have a loose part or that the fan is misaligned.
- Pulsating – Pulsating can be caused by a loose part.
- Loud Noise – A noticeable noise from your outdoor unit can signal an issue with your compressor, damper, fan or air handler.
- Humming – Humming can be related to fan motor issues or a broken relay switch. Read through our humming noise guide for more information.
You can find more information about frequent air conditioning problems on energy.gov
Should I keep using my system when it’s making a noise?
There are some cases where you can continue to run your AC, but you do so at your own risk. It’s hard to answer this question without inspecting your system.
Most of the time, we recommend turning the unit off and calling a professional.
When should I do something about the noise?
We recommend calling a professional as soon as you suspect there’s an issue with your unit. While AC repairs can be stressful and an unexpected expense, it’s best to get problems fixed right away. Contacting a professional could help lower future expenses and keep your system running longer.
Not sure if your air conditioner is making any of these noises? Please schedule online for a free, in-home consultation.
Zoning Systems: Tailored Temperature Control in Every Room
Central heating and cooling systems have revolutionized home comfort and made it possible to stay completely cozy in any season or climate. However, while centralized systems are a simple way to regulate the temperature, they in some cases fall short when it comes to evenly distributing heated or... Continue reading
Increase Your Comfort: Eight Home Heating and Cooling Upgrades
During the cold winter months in the U.S., there’s no better way to increase your home’s comfort than with a few effective upgrades. It’s not simply about keeping the house toasty warm as the snow begins to fall—it’s about enhancing efficiency and improving the very air you breathe. Here... Continue reading
How to Choose a Suitable HVAC System
When it comes to keeping your home comfortable all year, nothing is more critical than selecting the right heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) system. This decision affects your daily comfort, monthly utility expenditures and all-around home efficiency. Then again, with so many system... Continue reading