Whether you add a sunroom, family room or other space to your residence, being comfy in your new space throughout the year is key. However, they can make a unique situation for heating and cooling. This is since installing ductwork is costly. And that your heating and cooling system may not be work properly with the increased load, as it was sized without including the addition.
One of the most affordable solutions is to add a mini-split. This system provides energy-efficient heating and cooling, all without ductwork. Find out more about mini-splits and how adding one to your addition can be a good option.
All About Mini-Splits and How They Work
A ductless mini-split, since they’re much like ducted heat pumps that southern homeowners have relied on for decades.
Heat pumps are highly energy efficient since they move heat to make your space cozier. In fact, many have reached ENERGY STAR® certification, which could make you eligible for added rebates and reduce your utility costs for years to come.
Another special feature involves zoned heating and cooling. As each room usually has an individual indoor unit, you can select your preferred temperature from room to room. For example, a mini-split AC is very beneficial if you have a area with special temperature needs, like a home gym.
Why a Mini-Split is Worth It for Your Room
Installing a mini-split system is worth it for spaces that lack ductwork. Here are a few reasons why it’s better than extending ductwork and leaning on your current heating and cooling system.
- Extending ductwork is costly. Installing ductwork in your new addition can be costly. Although the total amount will depend on your unique situation, it could be thousands of dollars.
- Your present home comfort system might become stressed. When your present heating and cooling system was chosen, it was based on the square footage of your residence in advance of the addition. This can overwork your system and make it wear down more quickly.
- Your comfort could be affected. Since your heating and cooling system is sized for precise square footage, your comfort might be reduced if your system is forced to take care of a larger space. Your heating and cooling could be less powerful, and your energy costs may get more expensive as a result of the system needing to operate more regularly.
What Size Mini-Split You Should Install
Like regular systems, mini-splits come in several sizes based on the square footage they’ll be heating and cooling. Here are three of the most popular sizes:
- 400-650 square feet – 12,000 BTU mini-split
- 600-1,000 square feet – 18,000 BTU mini-split
- 800-1,300 square feet – 24,000 BTU mini-split
When you partner our Experts at Comfortech Service Experts , we’ll help you get the proper size for your new space. And your budget.
An ENERGY STAR mini-split unit can generate huge energy savings over its life cycle, which can be 20 years or longer when adequately tuned up. ENERGY STAR says getting one can save you 60% on heating and 30% on cooling, in comparison with an electric heating system and conventional air conditioner.
Trust Comfortech Service Experts for Your Mini-Split Installation
From answering all your questions and helping you choose the recommended model to supplying Expert mini-split installation, Comfortech Service Experts can accommodate all your mini-split needs. If you’re considering a home addition or recently finished one, we can provide assistance. Reach us at 601-852-3105 today to request a free consultation and estimate.