How to Stop Carbon Monoxide in Your Jackson Home

February 11, 2015

According to a 2012 report by the National Fire Protection Association, fire departments answer to an average of 72,000 carbon monoxide cases each year. Carbon Monoxide, or CO2, is a colorless, odorless gas by-product of burnt fuel. It’s often linked to wood stoves, car engines and other fire combustion sources along with gas or oil furnaces.

Why is CO2 awareness so important?

The short answer is that CO2 awareness is a matter of life and death. CO2 is one of the leading causes of accidental poisoning deaths in the US*, and conditions of CO2 poisoning is often confused as the flu, viral infections and continuous fatigue, among many others. This makes CO2 poisoning an often hidden enemy that can be fatal over several years, or within just a few short hours. Acute poisoning takes place from inhaling large concentrations of CO2, but poisoning may also happen gradually over many months or years. Some signs may include nausea, vomiting, flu-like symptoms, dizziness and fatigue.

So what can you do?

  1. Buy a CO2 detector for each room of your home. You can call Comfortech Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning to purchase one today.
  2. Existing CO2 detectors should be checked regularly (at least every 90 days). It's also recommended to replace the detector every 3-5 years.
  3. If you experience or have experienced any of the symptoms stated above, ask your doctor to test for carbon monoxide poisoning, and get a second opinion if necessary.

*emedicinehealth.com. Prevention information for Carbon Monoxide poisoning may be inaccurate or incomplete; none of these methods guarantee prevention of Carbon Monoxide poisoning.

Contact Us